Friday 28 February 2014

When the year started out I promised myself that I will write a blog post every waking day; no matter how cringe worthy it could be. But look at me. Two months into the year with one post I shabbily drafted.
Reason (read excuse) number one that I do not yet have a 20th post this year is that I am a perfectionist. You should see my draft book. I have summaries upon summaries upon summaries of articles that I have told myself that I am going to research on. It sits in there as if it’s meant to structure itself into something meaningful. Then over time I lose the fire. It’s a habit I’m trying to tame though. I don’t just rumble on because at times I visit my older posts and I see why editors reject my work. It’s not even funny. I will not apologize to being a perfectionist though.
When I say I’m going to research on something, I do. Most of the time. The whole thing turns into a rolling ball of creativity and I tell myself ‘this can be developed into a novel or short story’ and leave it for further development.
 It made me realize I have a problem summarizing, but there is too much information I want to put out there regardless. At times it stays in my folders till it’s stale (like a post meant for valentines –s.m.h). We all have that thing we put away. Unfortunately, I have realized all the above reasons I have given are actually excuses.
I have made a pact with myself that each week I shall try and get out all that I can. As an aspiring writer I need to get out all the bad writings. In other words, practice makes perfect. Whatever art you are sitting on, push yourself harder, it pays. Enjoy your weekend. xx

  

No comments:

Post a Comment